ContactBabel has publshed the 4th edition of the their US Contact Centers 2016-2020
The State of the Industry & Technology Penetration. See: http://contactbabel.com/pdfs/oct%2016/US-SOITP-2016-Marketing-v2.pdf
Some key findings:
- There are 41,500 contact centers in the US, with over 3.5 million agent positions.
- Large contact centers (with over 250 agent positions) employ around 45% of all contact center staff, despite only accounting for less than 7% of physical contact center sites.
- 20% of businesses using a workforce management system are looking to replace it.
- Around 4% of the US’s employed population work in contact centers.
- The mean average contact center size is 85 agent positions.
- There were over 230 billion minutes of inbound calling in 2016.
- On average, 12.5% of inbound interactions to contact centers are via email.
- Outbound calling activity has declined considerably to 18%, although more service focused outbound calls are replacing past sales call volumes.